ATB: Pets

Here is an according to the Bible that you guys requested!

What does the Bible say about pets?

As for pets myself I have a lot! I am the proud mamma of 6 jersey cows: our resident old girl, Gonzo; our old grumpy lady, Tweet; the mischievous, spoiled Bettina; the spry, pretty baby Behold; the baby of the family Vienna; and our steer Guacamole. I am an aunt to 11 fine feathered friends, our rooster Dude, the hens Henrietta, Doublestuff, Phoenix, Cocoa, Ry Ry, Amelia, Nutella, Pooki Pookie, Merica, and Miss Marple. My family also has a lazy, cheese loving great dane, two lazy fat cats, and two ponies. Needless to say I really live on a farm.

What does the Bible say about pets? This is tricky because the Bible does not exactly talk about owning pets, instead it talks about how we as humans should look after and treat animals. In Genesis 1:28 it says, “God blessed them and said to them, ‘Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.” God gave Adam rule over the animals and he entrusted Adam to take care of them. One way that we are like Adam with our pets is when we name them. Adam named the animals what we call them today like “cat” or “dog” but we give our animals a name as well.

When we take care of our pets we are practicing something called “stewardship”.According to the Bible, stewardship is taking care and nurturing what God has given us. If God has given you a pet your job is to care for it for to the best of your ability. That means cutting back on the complaining when mom tells you to take the dog out or to clean your fish’s aquarium. God cares about how we take care of our animals, remember he is always watching. Proverbs 12:10 says, “The righteous care for the needs of their animals, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.”

Blessings,

Farm Girl (literally)

5 thoughts on “ATB: Pets

1. G’day Farm Girl,
    A fantastic post about pets and how looking after them relates to the bible. I loved your descriptions of the pets you have on the farm. Which is your favourite pet? Do you have any pictures of them that you could add to your post?

Also thanks for adding your first sentence – I now know what ATB means on many posts from your class.

2. Hello Farm Girl!
    I loved your post about pets! You put in so much information! what is your favorite chapter in the bible? mine is Genesis. If you want to visit my blog, this is the URL. http://hannahmacb.edublogs.org
    Good luck on your blog!
    Best Farm wishes
    Hannah

3. Greetings, Farm Girl!
    I enjoy how you used references from the Bible to support your information! I really like that chapter, since I really like animals. What kind of farm animal is your favorite? If you want to check out my blog, Here’s the URL: http//lillianbj.edublogs.org

Sincerely,
    Lily

4. Lily,
    Thanks for reading my blog! My favorite farm animals are dairy cows. The ones at the top of my blog are my two favorites, Behold and Bettina. They are my babies.
    Farm Girl

5. Hi farm girl. Great post, I enjoyed learning all about your pets! I used to have some pets just like you, although mine were definitely a little smaller as I had two cats. I was wondering, does ATB mean about the bible?

Great post farm girl and good luck with the rest of the SBC! If you want to check out my blog heres the link: http://www.blog44.ca/owenc/