ATB: Book Choices

Question:  I am an advanced reader, but I want to honor the Lord in all that I read and I find that some of the more advanced books have things in them that are not yet appropriate for me.  We know you are an advanced reader.  How do you choose books carefully?  Do you have recommendations?

ATB Answer:

That is a great question because we have had the exact same problem with reading more advanced books. Hopefully what we have learned will help others.
Tip 1. Read the back cover of the book of the book. You can usually tell a lot about what the book is going to be like from the back cover.
Tip 2. Have your mom flip through the book and check it out.
Tip 3. Read reviews for the book online or even the author. Two great places to look are Plugged In and Common Sense Media. They don’t always have certain books so sometimes we just look up Christian book review for the book online.
Tip 4. If you are reading and you come across something that you don’t think is right or the Spirit convicts you about, close the book and return it. Don’t keep reading. There are so many books we have never finished because of the content.
Tip 5. To the parent, be willing to have a conversation with your kid about the/a book that they’ve recently read. Sometimes as kids, to really process things, we need to talk them out.
Tip 6. If there’s a book that you want to read that you’re worried might have something off in it, read it along with your mom or dad.
Here are some books I have read and recommend:
*the Hardy Boys by Franklin W. Dixon
*the Swindle series by Gordon Korman (the title should not scare you away) and the Falconer Series by the same author, *Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes
*Dear American Series
*Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, The Land, and Let the Circle Be Unbroken by Mildred D. Taylor
*If you don’t mind a bit of romance (not a lot, just a smidge):
The Mother Daughter Book Club Series Heather Vogel Fredrick
*Absolutely Truly by Heather Vogel Fredrick
*Al Capone Shines My Shoes by Gennifer Choldenko
*Al Capone Does my Homework by Gennifer Choldenko
*Midnight Rider by Joan Hiatt Harlow
*Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmitt
*Max by Jennifer Lee Shotz
*Focused by Alison Gerber
*Braced by Alison Gerber
*Sisters in all Season Series by Lisa Williams Kline (Christian)
*Mike Lupica Sports books
Hopefully these help!  If you have other excellent recommendations, leave a comment!